I know, you're thinking: WTH?!
NEAT = about 16 hours of your day...you should listen up.
NEAT is basically all of the activity you accumulate through normal activities of daily living (such as blow drying your hair, walking to and from parking lots, fidgeting, or pacing). NEAT is basically anything that requires movment that isn't scheduled exercise.
Current research says that even the dedicated 3 day per week exerciser may still be at risk for being overweight or obese because....
- We have sedentary jobs
- We have sedentary transportation
- We choose sedentary entertainment
- and enjoy our quiet time maybe a little too much.
Unfortunately, some of us cannot change our jobs where we sit for 8+ hours per day but there are things you can do. To burn more calories throughout your day just simply be aware!
- take the stairs
- park in the furthest parking spot
- choose to stand instead of sit while talking on the phone (or even better, walk around)
- for those that work, schedule "walking" meetings where you can walk while discussing