Have you noticed the enormous amounts of fitness / health promotion infomercials lately? Fitness goals and getting in shape are very common New Years resolutions.
Just a heads up...because we like to shoot things straight...
Although appealing, many fitness programs promise really quick results. Flip through multiple channels at 4am and you will find that you can get washboard abs and lose 30lbs in just 4 weeks(Holla!). Ridiculous??? Why, yes it is(read the fine print)!!!
Don't fall for the sales pitch! If it sounds too good to be true, it IS complete and utter crap!
Instead, focus on the long term and changing your habits. Even when losing weight quickly, don't expect the result to stay. Gradual, steady progress is the best way to maintain new habits (or to revive old ones).
Here are our recommendations for 2012 (if you aren't already doing the following):
- Drink water instead of sports drinks, soda or alcohol
- Add time to your current exercise routine...even if it's just 2 minutes at a time.
- Get a full 8 hours of sleep (or close to it)
- Add protein to snacks to make them more fulfilling and healthy. (apples or carrots with peanut butter is one of our favorites)
- Record your meals and snacks and make goals based upon each weekly intake.